Introduction: Arbitration In Malaysia — History And Infrastructure

The island of Penang was founded in 1786. Penang subsequently became part of the Straits Settlements comprising Penang, Malacca and Singapore. In 1874, the British entered into treaty arrangements with the Sultans of the Malay States, and British protection was extended to the whole of Malaya and the British legal system was introduced to Malaya. The Arbitration Ordinance XIII of 1809 of the Straits Settlements was Malaysia’s first piece of arbitration legislation. This Ordinance was then replaced in Penang and Malacca by The Arbitration Ordinance 1890. In 1950, the Arbitration Ordinance 1950 replaced the 1890 Arbitration Ordinance for all the States of the then Federation of Malaya. The 1950 Ordinance was based on the English Arbitration Act of 1889. British North Borneo and Sarawak adopted the English Arbitration Act of 1952 as their respective Ordinance in 1952. In 1963, North Borneo and Sarawak joined the Federation of Malaysia. On 1 November 1972, Malaysia adopted the arbitration laws